Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Apple Crisp

What to do with 5 little freshly picked Jonacrisp apples, and a very cute red baking dish from P.O.S.H.? I think an apple crisp is in order. A very petite one.

The blueberry crisp I made last month turned out to be a really good one. I think I made it two more times within the few weeks after that post. Cutting the recipe down into 1/3 was the perfect size so that I wasn't eating leftover blueberry crisp for days, so I used the same measurements again for the apple crisp. I think the baking dish I used was 7" x 7", but I believe the more standard size is 8" x 8" which would work too. Here's the recipe cut down into 1/3 since I've already posted the full version.

2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
5 small apples, peeled and cored
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cold butter, cut up, substitute margarine
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Cut the peeled and cored apples into equal size pieces, roughly 1-2 inches.



Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl, stir granulated sugar and cornstarch until blended. Add apples and lemon juice; stir to coat evenly. Spoon apple mixture into glass or ceramic baking dish; spread evenly.



In same bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and pecans. With fingers, mix until coarse crumbs form. Crumble over apple mixture.



Place sheet of foil underneath baking dish; crimp foil edges to form a rim to catch any drips during baking. Bake crisp 35 to 40 minutes or until top is browned and fruit is bubbly at edges. Cool on wire rack 1 hour to serve warm or cool completely to serve later. Reheat if desired.



I added pecans to this version, but they are totally optional. A side of vanilla ice cream, however, is not optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment