Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Jambalaya (on a stick)

I know, it sounds weird. I'll admit, after I came up with the idea and bought all the ingredients, I found myself thinking "Is this really going to turn out well?" I think it was pretty darn good. Spicy, but good. So this dish is basically jambalaya in the form of marinated kabobs. I used the same meats/fish in the stew but put them on a skewer, and used spices from jambalaya to season the kabobs.

For the seasoning. I used a mix of spices from an Emeril recipe. I trust his combination of spices, I use one for my chili.

Creole seasoning:
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chicken stock

1 green bell pepper
1 medium white onion
1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1-2 links andouille sausage, depending on size
10 shrimp (31/40 size worked perfectly)
wooden skewers

Before you start anything - soak the wooden skewers in a bowl of water for 15 minutes.

For the marinade, combine all the spices in a small bowl. Mix thoroughly. Take one tablespoon of the spice mixture and mix with Worcestershire, hot sauce, olive oil, and chicken stock in a separate bowl.



For the kabobs, cut the chicken, sausage, green pepper, and onion into pieces all about the same size.



Put the shrimp, sausage, chicken, pepper, and onion on the wooden skewers. You should get about 5 kabobs,



And brush with the marinade.



Grill for about 7-8 minutes.



Now, I have to warn you. The marinade was spicy. If you don't like hot food I wouldn't try to alter it to make it less spicy, I would just not brush all of it onto the kabobs. You can always add a little more after they're cooked if you want it hotter.

Also, once I put all the spices together for the Creole seasoning, it added up to 2/3 cup. Which is a lot, considering I only needed to use one tablespoon. You could make the spice mixture using teaspoons instead of tablespoons if you don't want to have so much left over.

I served the kabobs with a tomato corn salad on the side. If you really want to do a deconstructed jambalaya, you could serve it with a side of rice. All in all, a great new dinner creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment