Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Grilled Cheese

I don't remember what sparked the idea, but I decided I should make some fun grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner last night. Then I found out that April is National Grilled Cheese Month (who knew?) so I definitely had to do it. I grew up on grilled cheese sandwiches. And Eggo waffles. But really, my mom has probably made thousands of grilled cheeses. It's pretty much all I would eat. Instead of the classic American cheese on Pepperidge Farm bread that I loved when I was a kid, I went for some more sophisticated versions last night.

Most importantly, start with good bread. I chose a French country loaf.



First sandwich: Camembert, thin slices of a Granny Smith apple, and whole grain mustard.




Second sandwich: fontina, prosciutto, and arugula.




Third sandwich: Cana de Cabra goat cheese (semi-soft), strawberry jam, chopped macadamia nuts




Yummm. I think my favorite was the fontina one, probably because it had prosciutto in it. But they were all good. Everyone does grilled cheese their own way, but I like to melt butter in the pan and then butter the top piece of bread (instead of buttering both pieces of bread). But with butter, cheese, bread, and prosciutto or apples or jam or whatever you decide to add, you can't go wrong.

1 comment: