Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Soupe de Carottes

Sounds prettier than carrot soup, doesn't it? This recipe is from French Women Don't Get Fat, so I think it's appropriate to call it soupe de carottes. This is really the quickest, easiest soup to make.



5 cups peeled and sliced carrots
pinch sugar
salt
pepper
1 dollop butter
fresh dill or coriander, to garnish

Place the carrots in a pot with an equal amount boiling water. Cook until al dente, about 15 minutes.

Purée the soup in a food mill. Season to taste with a pinch of sugar, salt, and pepper. Just before serving add a dollop of butter and some fresh dill or coriander.

Of course, I changed it just a little. Use however many cups of carrots you want, and don't worry about having an equal amount of water in the pot. Just cook the carrots and then add however much water you want to the blender/food processor. I used about 4 cups of carrots, and probably only 2 or 2 1/2 cups of water instead of 4 because I wanted the soup to be thicker. I added about 1 tablespoon of butter to the pot of soup rather than putting a little in each individual serving. And I skipped the sugar because carrots are already sweet and I wanted the soup to be saltier.

If you wanted to spice it up you could add potatoes, leeks, onions, or just some cream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment