Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dirk's Fish & Gourmet Shop



So the main reason I went up to Lincoln Park yesterday wasn't Sweet Mandy B's (see below), but in fact to buy some fish for dinner. I always buy my fish from Whole Foods because of the convenience factor, and because it's always good. But Sarah had mentioned awhile ago that there was a great fish market in Lincoln Park. She didn't tell me the name of it, so I just did a little online research and found Dirk's (warning - if you click on this link the website has music and I couldn't get it to stop any other way than turning the speakers off). I don't know if it's the one she was talking about, but if not - oh well, I'll just get to experience a new market.

Here's what I was greeted with when I walked in - the first case had some ceviches and seafood salads, and "Chicago's Best Shrimp Cocktail" as well as a secret recipe mustard sauce. Ok, twist my arm...I bought a dozen shrimp (they were small) and a small container of the sauce.




They also had three types of oysters - including one of my favorite, Kumamoto - as well as clams, shrimp, and mussels. There wasn't a huge selection of fish but what they had in stock really fresh.



I was really in the mood for red snapper so I could make it with almonds again, but they didn't have any. The halibut looked nice so that's what I chose. Time to go home and eat!

We started with the shrimp and mustard sauce:



The mustard sauce was really tasty. It was a nice departure from cocktail sauce, although I do love cocktail sauce. Someone else really likes shrimp...



And now for the fish. I just put salt, pepper, and a little olive oil on it.



Peter grilled it for about 4 minutes on each side, which was perfect. I melted a little butter in a small skillet with an equal amount olive oil, as well as some lemon juice and poured it over the fish once it was done...served with a salad, it was a really fresh, light dinner (I had to leave room for the dessert tray).

No comments:

Post a Comment