Monday, May 10, 2010

Hummus

It's certainly not hard to find a selection of great hummus at the grocery store, so why make it? Well, just for fun! I've made something similar before - white bean garlic spread - but this is just the classic version. I found the recipe in Food & Wine.



1 15-oz. can of chickpeas, drained except for one tablespoon of liquid
1 small garlic clove, smashed
1 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
extra virgin olive oil
pinch of paprika
kosher salt
pita chips or crudités, for serving

In a food processor, combine the chickpeas with the liquid, garlic, lemon juice and tahini and puree to a chunky paste. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the paprika and puree until smooth. Season the hummus with salt, drizzle with olive oil and serve with pita chips or crudités.

I meant to take more pictures of the process, but it took only a couple minutes to make and I was done before I knew it. This recipe made a cup and a half of very tasty hummus. I think next time I'd like to try adding some roasted bell pepper, or some chipotle chili powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment