Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mojo Criollo

I used to sometimes buy Goya Mojo Criollo marinade at Western Beef in New York. I can't find it anywhere here! I really miss it. Western Beef, however, I do not miss so much. Anyway, mojo criollo is a citrus-based marinade that's great on chicken or steak. I guess i'll just have to make it!

I looked around online and after reading several recipes came up with this:

1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about two large navel oranges)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about four limes)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 of a large white onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper

Combine the orange juice, lime juice, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour olive oil into the juice mixture in a slow, steady stream while whisking. Pour over steak (or chicken) and marinate overnight.



Pretty easy, right? I used the marinade on skirt steak, and I've also used it on chicken for tacos. After marinating overnight I grilled the steak for about 6-7 minutes on each side. The juice and cumin give it so much flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment