Sunday, August 8, 2010

Boston Trip - Lobster

I'm back home after a wonderful week in Massachusetts, and I have SO much to write about...I barely know where to start. I figure I may as well jump right in and start with a post about lobster because, well...you know, that's what you eat when you go to New England.

First lobster of the week was in Scituate, where we spent the better part of the week in a beach house with family. My uncle gets lobsters from his "guy", and I don't know who or where he is so I have no information to share about where they came from. But these lobsters were really big, and had a blue tone.



I believe the slight blue color comes from being in colder water, but please correct me if I'm wrong. These lobsters were also really big, they were probably all about 2 1/2 or 3 lbs. So, I've never actually cooked a lobster myself but I've seen it done plenty of times. Heat a big pot of water until it boils, put the lobsters in alive (very important. Dead lobster = no good), and cook until they're bright red. For a smaller lobster, about 8-10 minutes should be sufficient. I think we cooked these guys for closer to 15, also because we were cooking about 7 or 8 in the pot at a time.



Serve with a little bowl of clarified butter to dip the lobster meat into. I like the claws best, and these claws were gigantic. This wasn't even the biggest one of the bunch, but here's a sizable one next to Peter's hand.



The next lobster of the week came at the rehearsal dinner for my friends Julie and Lou's wedding on the Cape. The rehearsal dinner was held at the Dennis Inn and the food was done by Treats Catering. It was a traditional New England lobster boil/clam bake with all the trimmings - steamers and mussels, corn on the cob, potatoes, cornbread, and clam chowder.



Absolutely delicious. And wait, there's more. At the actual wedding the first course was lobster ravioli with lobster cream and more chunks of lobster on top. And that's spinach on the plate, too.



What a lucky girl I am, lobster three times in one week!

No comments:

Post a Comment