Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Red Lentil Soup

Well, the beans/nuts/grains section at Whole Foods got me again. This time, red lentils.



I wasn't sure what I was going to make with them, but I knew I had to have them. I was thinking I would probably use them as some sort of side dish, but I walked by a Middle Eastern restaurant on my way home and started thinking about lentil soup. Here's my adaptation of a recipe I found on allrecipes.com:

Serves 2-3
2 2/3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 cup pound red lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 small/medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt
chopped cilantro, for garnish
fresh lemon juice, for garnish

Bring chicken stock and lentils to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 3 minutes.



Stir onions into the lentils and season with cumin, salt and pepper. Continue simmering until the lentils are tender, about 10 minutes.



Garnish with cilantro and a bit of fresh lemon juice.



So quick and easy! You can puree the soup using an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender, but I like the texture of the onions. Since I came up with the idea for soup on my way home, I hadn't thought ahead to buy some pita bread for dipping. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment