Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Steak Tacos & Fresh Salsa

Inspired by the March edition of Saveur magazine (a special issue about Los Angeles), I decided to make steak tacos. There were so many pictures of all the amazing Mexican food in southern California and I was craving some tacos with fresh salsa. I used skirt steak, which is perfect for tacos or fajitas because it's lean, it cooks quickly, and is easy to slice up.



1 lb. skirt steak
kosher salt
4 limes
5 vine tomatoes, or 5-6 plum tomatoes, cut into big pieces
1/2 white onion, cut into big pieces
1 jalapeno
corn tortillas

Turn on the broiler to high, and let it heat up for 10 minutes. Season the steak with lots of salt and lime juice. If you have time, you could even let it marinate in the lime juice for awhile before cooking. Cook for roughly 12 minutes (depending on thickness), flipping halfway through. Let meat rest for 5 minutes or so before cutting into slices.

For the salsa: cut the jalapeno in half and remove the seeds. Put one half into the food processor along with a small handful of cilantro leaves and pulse until it's finely minced. Add the tomato, onion, lime juice, and salt and hit pulse just a few times to chop everything up, but not puree it.



I thought 3/4 of a jalapeno gave it a good amount of heat, but if you're not sure start with just 1/2 of the jalapeno and you can always add more (mincing it by hand and adding to the salsa). You want to start with just the jalapeno and cilantro in the food processor because those should be chopped more finely than the rest of the ingredients. This made a good amount of salsa - enough to have with chips before dinner.

Also, I bought 4 limes because sometimes you get one that doesn't have much juice (which I did), plus I like to have extra to season the tacos with once they're done. I added cheese to one of my tacos, but I ended up liking them better without.

No comments:

Post a Comment