Friday, June 11, 2010

Herbed Fingerling Potatoes

I had some fingerling potatoes from the farmers market, and instead of my usual red potatoes with rosemary/pancetta routine, I wanted to do something else.



Aren't they so cute?

12-15 fingerling potatoes
1-2 Tbl. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbl. herbes de Provence
big pinch salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut potatoes into small pieces, about 1/2 inch thick. Mix in a glass baking dish with olive oil, garlic, herbs, and salt.



Bake for about 35-40 minutes, mixing once halfway through. If they're not turning brown, you can put them under the broiler for a couple minutes at the end of cooking just to get them extra toasty.



We had the potatoes with skirt steak and grilled asparagus:



Really good. A nice departure from the way I usually make them. While you can never go wrong with pancetta, I really liked the garlic/salt/herb flavor of these. And I like the way fingerling potatoes slice up, into little discs.

If you don't have herbes de Provence, and can't find them, you can easily make it yourself. It's a spice combination of dried basil, fennel seed, marjoram, thyme, lavender, savory, rosemary, and sage. Some versions don't have every spice I just listed, and some go heavier on the thyme.



And now I'm off to Columbus for a long weekend! I see some Jeni's in my future...

2 comments:

  1. those look tasty. have you considered cutting them lengthwise? who made the steak?

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look funky before its cooked! haha

    ReplyDelete