Friday, June 18, 2010

A Trip Down South

Sadly, I did not get to go on this trip down south. Peter had to go for work, to cover the oil spill. He left last weekend straight from Columbus and as I dropped him off at the airport I told him: "Take lots of pictures of food for me!" So now I'll hand it over to him to tell you about the week's southern eating adventures.

The second day we went out on the U.S.S. Juniper, a Coast Guard buoy tender vessel, that is usually stationed in Newport, RI.



These guys are out at sea 90 days a year, so they know how to eat well on the boat.



That day they were cooking tuna steaks marinated in orange juice and teriyaki sauce.



It smelled great and I didn't think we were going to get a taste, but our hosts graciously fed us in the captain's quarters.




The Coast Guard dropped us off at Sportsman Marina in Orange Beach, Alabama and we noticed a great restaurant there, so we went back the next day for lunch. It was called Shipp's Harbour Grill. It was a seafood bonanza. We had creole oysters - broiled with cream cheese, tasso ham, and parmesan.



A traditional shrimp gumbo:



And a kind of Gulf shrimp called "Royal Reds"



The next day we went out with Captain Gerry Matherne, who invented a device that cleans oil out of the water. He took us out to his operational rig and fed us one of the most authentic Cajun meals.



They served us crab cakes, peel-n-eat shrimp, beans and sausage, and crawfish ettoufee.




And here's the chef:



I flew out of New Orleans, and on my way out of town I had to stop by the famous Cafe du Monde.



They're known for their beignets and chickory coffee, and that's exactly what I got.




I couldn't have been more impressed by how nice the people were, how good the food was, and how beautiful the beaches were. Yes, I ate really well, but we did get a lot of work done too.


Watch CBS News Videos Online

No comments:

Post a Comment