Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Streeterville Farmers Market



Streeterville is a little neighborhood just east of Michigan Avenue, right along the lake. It's just a few blocks from my apartment, and on Tuesdays they have their farmers market...and today was the first time I was able to go! The market is set up on the plaza in front of the Museum of Contemporary Art. It's a pretty small market, not as many tents as Division Street or Daley Plaza. But today they had some really great things.

The first thing that caught my eye were zucchini blossoms at the Nichols Farm tent. Aren't they so pretty?



They also had raspberries, red and white currants, and blueberries. Strawberries are already pretty much done for the season, but I was excited to see some other berry choices.



And lots of different varieties of onions, beets, and carrots.



Moving along...Scheeringa Farms had a huge pile of sweet corn. I couldn't pass that up.



The day's purchases - I did get some of that corn. I also got tomatoes and a bunch of fresh basil from Scheeringa. I bought raspberries and blueberries from Ellis Farms in Michigan:



I got some flowers from Wichert Gardens again - this time zinnias.



And...drum roll please...zucchini blossoms from Nichols. That's the fresh basil I bought from Scheeringa next to them.



As I write this, I have a belly full of zucchini blossoms. How did I cook them? How did they turn out? You'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure the suspense is killing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment